Thursday, December 24, 2015

The Twin Within Revisited by Lola Carlile and Stephanie Stockton

I would have given The Twin Within Revisited by authors Lola Carlile and Stephanie Stockton five stars because it was an excellent, well-written and moving story about an individual who struggled deeply with an intersex condition, having been born with ambiguous genitalia.

However, there was one problem with this book that really drove me crazy. For whatever reason, the author or authors, who are obviously really into food and cooking, interspersed the story with recipes of all their favorite dishes. The way this worked, and I'm paraphrasing, the text would read,  "I walked into the room and found my landlady dead." Then, out of the clear blue sky there would be a recipe for say, corn fritters, reading, " open a large can of creamed corn...etc., etc." there must have been 50 such recipes interspersed with the text.

Since I always use the text-to-speech feature on my Kindle, it was impossible to simply skip over these recipes and I had to go through every single one, line by line. These diversions were totally out of context and really ruined the flow of the book for me.

Otherwise, I did enjoy the story, an agonizing tale of a person who struggled mightily before finally coming to terms with her true self. Consider writing a cookbook!


No comments:

Post a Comment