Monday, November 1, 2010

NEWS: Lambda Literary Award Nominees (part 1)

Well, the official announcement has been made . . . the 23rd (wow!) Annual Lambda Literary Awards will be presented in New York City on Thursday, May 26, 2011.

The current list of nominees has been updated, and it's already a big list. For those of you keeping track at home, we're looking roughly 100 books listed. The deadline for submissions is still more than a month away (December 15th), so I suspect that list will grow over the coming weeks.

Some notable mentions to date include:

Transgender
The Color of Sunlight, by Michelle Alexander (I just may have to add this to my to-read list)
Diana Comet and Other Improbable Stories, by Sandra McDonald (already on my list)

LGBT Anthology
Dear John, I Love Jane: Women Write about Leaving Men for Women, edited by Candace Walsh and Laura Andre (sounds interesting . . . might be worth picking up)

LGBT SF/Fantasy/Horror
The Called, by Warren Rochelle (sounds interesting, but I suspect you need to read Harvest of Changelings first to really follow it)
Disturbed by Her Song, by Tanith Lee (a wonderful author . . . I love her style)
Wilde Stories 2010: The Year’s Best Gay Speculative Fiction, edited by Steve Berman (check out my review here)

Lesbian Debut Fiction
Always Faithful, by Isabella (I suspect I may need a box of tissues for this one)

Lesbian General Fiction
Mephisto Aria, by Justine Saracen (definitely on my list - as soon as I finish her Ibis Prophecy series)
Sub Rosa, by Amber Dawn (now this one sounds really interesting . . .)

Lesbian Mystery
Rachel Cord, PI: ‘Still a Bitch’, by R.E. Conary (now this one sounds fun!)

Well, that's it for this morning. I still have a lot of reading up to do on the other nominees, so I'll update the rest of my notable mentions as soon as I get a chance to finish the list. With so many new authors and so many categories, I really want to take my time and make sure I don't miss a hidden gem that I'll regret later.

Of course, if there are any nominees that caught your eye, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment